Wednesday 6 October 2010

Dead advice from DC

Saturday 2/10/10

Helped my friend Sam at the Doncaster open meet today, will upload the meet video on my youtube account.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDOdnqONnZg
Totalled: 537.5kg Raw
Squat: 200kg
Bench: 107.5kg (needs to bring grip in more)
Dead: 230kg (form has greatly improved from his last comp)

Spoke to David Carter, excellent deadlifter 330kg in 90kilo class, about whether pulling 300kg at this comp coming up is possible for me, and the response was in the affirmative, contrary to what Ben and Tom have stated.
I then questioned him on how he trains for the deadlift, which I will outline below in bullet points:
1) Train deadlift on heavy squat day- simulates meet.
2) Rack/block pull from point where the back takes over in the lift, roughly mid-shins for conventional lifter. These are done for 3-5 reps. This helps take the legs out of the lift to focus on the back more.
- Here's a vid of DC doing just that:
David Carter - 240kg x 5 block deadlift
3) Follow the rack pulls with a heavy single from the floor.
4) Grip bar as narrow as possible, reduces distance to pull.
5) Look up from start of lift. Not wrench head up, but look up (i.e. with eyeballs)
6) Only pull singles from floor.
7) Cycle weights up to comp, i.e. linear periodisation

8) Stop heavy dead's 2 weeks away from comp, instead last training week do some speed deads, very light, after squats.
There was probably more but either I can’t remember it or I miss heard it (being deaf in right ear, I have a lot of trouble with background noise)


 
I then asked what sort of weight should I aim for on the rack and subsequent pull from the floor, if I wish to get 300kg?

Two weeks before the comp aim to hit 280kg for 3 reps in the rack, followed by 260kg for a single afterwards. This will be all done after squatting.

i.e.
Monday 01/11/10:

1) Squat:
215kg x 3 reps x 1-2 sets

2) Rack pulls mid-shins (from dead stop)
280kg x 3 rep (definitely possible, managed a single with this weight before my last comp, although did it the week before the meet...far too close)

rest 5-10 mins then

3) Deadlift off floor
260kg x 1 rep
Thank you Dave Carter.


I will use this method on my squat day (monday), and if upto it do some moderately heavy singles from the floor on either thursday or friday, followed by some upper back work.

No comments:

Post a Comment