Tuesday 30 November 2010

New Goal....531...Skiing

Decided to use Wendlers 531 for a few months, due to the fact I have a skiing holiday in early march I need to work on my overall fitness, but keep my strength growing, and the higher reps he suggests will help bring my endurance back up.

This I will proceed with this for 3 months and on the last cycle I will test to see if my lifts have increased.
I have but 14-15 weeks to get fit enough that running with my ski boots and skis (with 2-4 ltrs of water in my bag) while being around 18 stone, won't affect me unduly.

The template I will use is:
Sunday = Overhead Press (been well over two months since I even attempted this ex.)
                Assistance ex (no more than two, though this doesnt include restoration and prevention ie Neck work)
Monday = Deadlift
                 Assistance ex. (two here as well)
                 Conditioning (Hill sprints, build up to 20 at least)

Wednesday = Bench Press
                      (as on dead day)

Friday    =  Squat
                  (as before)

Saturday = Optional - long dog walk with hill sprints etc


I will include the first two days below:
Sunday 28/11/10
Warmup - Shovel snow out of carpark.
1)Oh Press:
Weight      Reps         Sets
30kg           5               1
40kg           5               1
45kg           3               1  - end of warm up
50kg           5               1
60kg           5               1
65kg           7               1

2)Dips bodyweigh only for now = 3 sets of 6/7/6 reps

3)Chinups (superset with dips)   = 3 sets of 5/4/3 reps

No conditioning as have deadlifts tomorrow.

Monday 29/11/10
Warmup - 5mins of rope skipping in the snow.
1) Deadlift
Weight      Reps         Sets
100kg         5               1
120kg         5               1
140kg         3               1  - end of warm up, added belt for working sets
160kg         5               1
190kg         5               1
215kg         5               1 - Could have easily got 8-10 reps, but felt as 1st week back to take it easy, where my lower back is concerned.

2) Good Mornings
Weight      Reps         Sets
60kg          10              3   - Again could have gone for 5 sets but wanted to ease into it.

3) Decline situps, plate behind head
Weight      Reps         Sets
10kg          15               1
5kg             5                1  - dont have enough endurance here yet, prob cause for the past 3 months the only ab work I did was one set at the end of the week.

4) Conditioning
Hill sprints ~ 100mtrs
total number = 3 runs.
will be able to increase this every session hopefully.

n.b thinking it might be woth buying one of those air resrictors that simulate a thinner atmosphere, but Ill use it for the last month of training.

No comments:

Post a Comment