Thursday 24 March 2011

17/03/11 - Made my own box, to squat on...ie box squat

Homemade Box Squat....um..box,

Fairly easy to construct, I used the the pictures found on some website (citation needed), that allowed me to workout the basic shape of the box.  I then used the standard set by EliteFTS to wit the dimensions at 18"x18".  The height I was unsure about, so winged it (aim for over 10" to 20" or so high).

I have disected the construct into several phases:

Phase 1: Procure the materials

1) 2x6 at 18" length = 5
2) 2x6 at 14" length = 3 (I made a mistake with mine here, in that I got the wood cut to 16", incase it looks alittle off in the pictures)





3) 18x18" 1" = board (could only find 1", could use two if you wish, I used the leftover wood to allow for increased height as and when)
4) 3" nails (about a handfull, over 30 or so)




  

Phase 2: Construct the base

1) Put the three 14" (16" in my case) 2x6 parallel to each other, and use two 18" 2x6 for the top and bottom of the frame, work on one 18" length at a time, nailling each 14" board to it, I used 3 nails in for each end.
You should then end up with something that looks like this:
Sans untidy workshop/forge in background.

2) Lay flat and take the remaining 3 18" 2x6 and affix so they are in the same direction as the other 18" 2x6, thusly:

Underneath

Base's base















The base will be around 8", a bit too low for myself (I stand at about 6'3")

Phase 3: Raise the barn...er...height

Now take two of the 18x18 1" boards (or one if you managed to get 2" thick) and nail into place.


Completed, untidy, base

This is where my error is plain to see:














Phase 4: Use it....or lose it


Ain't it purdy, and well stacked...


Not a whole lotta room, but it works

Well that sums it up took about 3 hours, for all of the phases to be done.  Total cost ~£45, which ain't too bad.  The main cost was the MFC board, where I had to buy a whole sheet for the project, which was around £35, so if there's an cheaper option go for that.

Got nothing more to say but:
Ja na, Ciao, Au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen, Viszlát!,  Adios, Shalom, and Chin Chin

No comments:

Post a Comment